Wednesday, February 24, 2010

From Birthday Parties to Late Night Worship, God Uses Them All




1 Timothy 1:12 says, "I Thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service."
This verse has been the backbone for me this last week, and what a week it was! Sunday was a more laid back day for me. I spent a lot of time in prayer, getting ready for the week ahead of me. As usual, we had our youth group at 5 pm. It was a huge blessing to see the faces of those we are pouring our lives into. There are a few youth in particular who have been coming every week, and it's amazing to see how God is working in their lives. He has been teaching them many things and revealing Himself to these youth in such amazing ways, but I have been learning almost as much as them. The biggest thing that God has shown me through these youth is pure joy. I see how joyful and thankful they are now that they have found Christ, and it's contagious! There always seems to be laughter and a reason for praising God when we are with them.
Monday was the highlight of my week by far. Monday night we had a joined birthday party for Tanya, Cayla and Alena. We were planning on playing games, having some snacks and sharing testimonies, but I felt that we should have more of a hangout night with the youth, so I mentioned it to the team, and they agreed. We had music, some snacks and refreshments, and some of the team members (specifically the birthday girls) shared their testimonies. I was on the turntables for the majority of the night, so I had the opportunity to talk to some of the youth while showing them how to use the turntables. I was talking with one boy when Gillian approached me to tell me to pray, because there were four people sharing the gospel in different parts of the apartment, all at once! When I asked who was all sharing, I was blown away. Three of the people were from team, but the fourth was a young man, whom I will call DJ, that has recently accepted Christ. He was leading one of his friends to Christ! This was by far the biggest highlight for me so far this entire time here in India.
The rest of the week was spent doing personal evangelism, and two programs. Unfortunately, I haven't been feeling very well for a few days, so I missed the programs, but I was eager to go out and disciple people, so I saved all my energy for that. Most of my time was spent with Jake discipling DJ. We have been sharing stories from the bible with him, doing small bible studies with him (which are lead by Jake, I'm mostly moral support), and just encouraging him to keep his desire to serve God.
Saturday evening was also another highlight of the week for me. A few people from team (Kimmie, Alena, Gillian, Jake and myself) have started a youth group in a friend's house nearby. We get youth from a church in the area and play games, sing songs, laugh, joke, and praise God. Then we split boys and girls, and we talk about God, what we have been learning, and what we would like God to teach us. It's a huge blessing to see all these youth serving God in the ways that they know how.
Praise Items: For DJ and how God is already using him; the youth groups that are being started; that God is using our team in amazing ways.
Prayer Requests: For health on our team. A few people are feeling a bit under the weather; for more contacts for our team; for boldness in our faith and readiness to serve our God with our lives

"..Grace, mercy and peace to you from God the Father and Jesus Christ our Lord."
1 Timothy 1:2

-Posted by Ryan Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment